People assume pet sitters have a pretty cushy job because they get to play with pets all day. Playing with pets is definitely a wonderful part of our job, but pet sitters do much more than that. Luckily you can now find out whether you too would be a good pet sitter. So please take out a piece of paper and number 1-7. This highly scientific quiz will help you determine whether you have what it takes to be a successful pet sitter.
1. Do you like to clean? Whether it’s cat litter all over the floor or vomit on carpet, pet sitters do a lot of cleaning. At Pup Culture, we make sure that clients come home to a house at least as clean (if not cleaner) as it was when they left. Sometimes vacuuming, sweeping, and scrubbing is part of the pet sitter’s day.
2. Can you handle vomit and poop? Sometimes pets get sick, and we ALWAYS pick up poop when we’re walking dogs. Also, we sometimes have to describe poop and vomit consistency to clients. So you should be very comfortable with dealing with vomit and poop.
3. Do you enjoy driving? When you think of pet sitting, you probably imagine lots of dog walking. Although we do a lot of dog walking, pet sitters also do a lot of driving. We drive to clients’ houses; sometimes multiple times a day.
4. Are you obsessed with pets? Pet sitters visit a lot of different pets. An extreme love of animals is vital for a pet sitter. If you can get shy or fearful animals to warm-up to you quickly, then bonus points for you!
5. Can you follow directions? At Pup Culture we work with clients to maintain a consistent routine for their pets. Following clients’ specific directions is vital to successful pet sitting visits.
6. Are you reliable and responsible? Pets are relying on you for their bathroom breaks, exercise, food, and cleaning. It is important that we don’t let them down!
7. Are you a morning person…and a night owl? Depending on pet clients’ needs and schedules, you may need to visit pets in the morning for breakfast time and again before bedtime for a potty break. Pet sitters’ hours are not easy by any means.
If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, you are in luck! Pup Culture is currently hiring part-time pet sitters. You can find more information on our Employment page. We are always looking to hire reliable animal lovers who are excited to be working with pets.